I want to access my work desktop (running Linux Mint 17) from my Chromebook. So, I set about getting Chrome Remote Desktop running on my desktop machine and it turned out to be less than straight forward. I ran into several errors like:
- failed to start remove access service - after creating .chrome-remote-desktop-session and attempting to enable desktop sharing
- Incorrect size format '1024x768', should be WIDTHxHEIGHT - when attempting to run
sudo /etc/init.d/chrome-remote-desktop start
But after a little fiddling I have it working. Perhaps someone will read this and improve upon it. Please post your improvements in the comments.
Here are the steps I took to get it running:
- Install the Chrome browser
- Install the Chrome Remote Desktop app
- Create the .chrome-remote-desktop-session file in my home directory (set permissions to 700)
enter the following line in the file:
exec /usr/bin/gnome-session --session=cinnamon2d
- Shutdown the chrome-remote-desktop daemon:
sudo /etc/init.d/chrome-remote-desktop stop
- Edit your ~/.profile to include this line (keep in mind this is the resolution I want because I'm accessing it with a Chromebook):
source ~/.profileto update the environment
- Start up the chrome-remote-desktop daemon (as a non-root user):
- Open the Chrome Remote Desktop app and enable desktop sharing.
- Test it by connecting from another machine.